Explanations proffered on social media include:
“I have no good explanation for why a geophysical company has so many teddy bears.”
- Fashionable cushions for high amplitude seismic testing.
- “Padding”-ton bears to supplement shock-foam when packing shipments.
- Hug-providers for when data-processing just gets to be too much, and blowing things up is insufficient consolation.
- Equipment to restore moral when fieldwork is going unbelievably badly.
- Teddy Tax Deduction for geophysicists.
- Fond memories of all the real bears who munch on cables.
- Adding Concentrated Awesome to the office environment.
- Target practice.
- Insulation to provide piles of warmth when the office is inexplicably freezing.