Space-science items I’ve linked to on social media recently:
- Cosmology Primer for your Beginning & End of the Universe needs.
- Constructive interference is the concept that brings you rogue waves, acoustic beats, seiche, and Moiré patterns. Now do that in space. With lightning.
- Astronomical Adorableness.
- Space Harpoon. No, really.
- Atmospheric optical effects (explained here).
- picoKelvins. Building a laser-lattice to hold atoms. Bouncing high-energy ruffians. Getting colder than space!
- Sleigh ride over Mars
Mercury is weird; everything about it is weird. We don’t know what kind of rocks it’s made of, we don’t know its colour and it’s not depleted of volatiles like everyone thought.